Inner City - Original Broadway Cast
Linda Hopkins, Tony Award 1971 for Best Featured Actress in a Musical.
Masterworks Broadway describes Inner City as "the musical that rocked Broadway with its distinctly untraditional take on modern urban life." The raucous 1971 show was conceived and staged by Hair director Tom O’Horgan the same season he directed the Broadway premiere of Jesus Christ Superstar. Based on Eve Merriam’s best-selling book The Inner City Mother Goose, it recounts children’s tales with a contemporary urban vibe and has a lively, R&B-influenced score by Helen Miller and lyricist Eve Merriam. Inner City introduced Linda Hopkins, who took home a Tony as Best Featured Actress in a Musical, along with Delores Hall, Larry Marshall, and Allan Nichols. Historic note: one of the production’s associate producers was Harvey Milk, before he left New York for San Francisco.
1. Fee Fi Fo Fum/Now I Lay Me
2. Hushaby/My Mother Said
3. Nub of the Nation
4. Urban Mary/City Life/One Misty Moisty Morning
5. If Wishes Were Horses
6. Deep in the Night
7. Jeremiah Obadiah/Riddle Song
8. Shadow of the Sun
9. Boys and Girls Come Out to Play/Lucy Locket/Wisdom/The Hooker (“You Make It Your Way”)
10. Law and Order
11. The Dealer (“You Push It Your Way”)
12. Kindness/As I Went Over/Apartment House/There Was a Little Man/Who Killed Nobody?
13. It’s My Belief
14. Street Sermon
15. The Great If/On This Rock/The Great If (Reprise)
Note: The absence of audio in the left channel for eight seconds at the beginning of Track 10 ("Law and Order") has been retained from the original LP and cassette masters of this recording.
Catalog Number: RCA83212
Composer: Helen Miller
Conductor: Gordon Harrell
Orchestra/Ensemble: Original Broadway Cast Orchestra
Performer: Allan Nichols, Delores Hall, Larry Marshall, Linda Hopkins